We’re pleased to announce that C2UExpo 2017 is the first ever event to be certified for #Sustainability through SFU’s Sustainability Office!
As a #C2UExpo project assistant, I’m proud to introduce you to some of the sustainable practices that you’ll see at the conference and at SFU, as well some measures you can take to stay sustainable.
1. For the #SurreyJam , we have chosen to give away paddles created by an artist associated with the Kwantlen First Nations. This paddle is symbolic of our efforts to maintain good relations with the people of the traditional territories of the First Nations in this area.
2. Boxed lunches will be provided to delegates on Day 1 of the pre-conference at @SFU Surrey Campus . The lunch is to be catered by a social enterprise called Price Pro, which aims to rehabilitate previous drug addicts back into society by providing job opportunities for them. You can find out more about the charity here: https://www.pricepro.org/about-us/the-charity/ . At Walk the Talk, a box lunch will be provided on Wednesday, and will be 100% compostable.
3. Finally, we have selected a gift for our speakers from a social enterprise called Studio73 ( http://www.studioseventythree.ca/ ). This specific company belongs to the local Surrey community, and provides people with skills and opportunities for long term employment.
4. We encourage YOU to follow these sustainable practices during the conference to help us maintain our environment:
5. Ever wondered what #SocialSustainability could look like in practice? The #C2UExpo 2017 is taking campus-community partnerships to practice by involving the community through its Community Ambassador Program ( http://www.c2uexpo.ca/community-ambassadors ).
Exactly what IS sustainability?
In trying to achieve this certificate, I did some research on the meaning of sustainability.
In many instances, campuses and communities
can often be thought of as separate clusters. C2UExpo 2017 has founded the
Ambassador Program to bridge this gap by allowing communities participate and
build employable skills in a reputable campus setting which the conference
takes place at. Obtaining rigorous training, Ambassadors will have the
opportunity to build capacity, and create an impactful difference both at, and
outside the C2UExpo 2017 conference.
With C2UExpo 2017 beginning in a couple short days, we can’t wait to delve right into some of the themes each of our Gatherings will be addressing.
Let’s see what Trail Blazer– David J. Phipps , Executive Director, Research & Innovation Services at York University had to say about the following questions!
Because we had such a great turn out of presentation proposals for the #C2UExpo 2017 , I’m happy to say there are a lot of concurrent sessions you can choose from this year! Here are a few sessions that have been the most popular so far, so you definitely don’t want to miss out signing up for them.